Our mission is to lead state and national stakeholders in the development of comprehensive policy and programs for all those affected by problem gambling. Our purpose is to serve as the national advocate for programs and services to assist problem gamblers and their families. And our vision is to improve health and wellness by reducing the personal, social and economic costs of problem gambling. The National Council is neither for nor against legalized gambling. NCPG is organized with 3 classes of members: state affiliate, corporate and individual. The NCPG concentrates efforts on the national level, while the state affiliates work at the state and local level. Major National Council programs include:
- The National Problem Gambling Helpline Network (1-800-522-4700), a single national access point to local resources.
- The annual National Conference on Problem Gambling, the world’s oldest and largest problem gambling-specific conference.
- National Problem Gambling Awareness Month (annually in March).
- International Holiday Lottery Campaign (annually in December).
- Administration of the National Certified Gambling Counselor (NCGC) credential.
- Providing education on problem gambling issues to Federal, state, tribal and international governments and agencies.
- Distribution of information and literature on problem gambling treatment, research and recovery.
- National referral resource on gambling counselors and treatment facilities.
The organization was founded in 1972 by Msgr. Joseph A. Dunne and Dr. Robert Custer, among others. From the outset the Council established two principles that remain in effect today: that the organization would be the advocate for problem gamblers and their families, and that it would take no position for or against legalized gambling. This stance is encompassed today in our vision and mission statements above. A history of the NCPG from 1972 to 1985 by Msgr. Dunne was published in the Journal of Gambling Studies, Vol. 1, Issue 1. To join as a member or to support NCPG with a tax-deductible contribution, click here to view our Membership Types and Benefits