Problem Gambling Advocacy Day
April 11, 2018 in Washington, DC
Problem gambling and responsible gaming advocates from across the country will convene in Washington, DC on April 11th, 2018 for the National Council on Problem Gambling’s Advocacy Day. Problem Gambling Advocacy Day brings together key stakeholders in a grassroots effort to highlight the importance of developing strong public policies relating to problem gambling and appropriating the necessary funding for education, research, treatment and prevention.
On Wednesday, April 11, 2018, the day will begin with an orientation for stakeholders on Capitol Hill layout and protocols for in-person advocacy. This will be followed by an open briefing on problem gambling for Congressional representatives and staff, highlighting the most pressing issues currently facing the field, specifically the Preventing and Treating Gambling Disorder in the Military Act (Download a copy of the 2017 Bill Here). This bill was introduced by Sen. Warren last year as S. 1439 and will be reintroduced this year. Our goal is to get a bipartisan companion bill in the House, and bipartisan co-sponsors in the Senate. Following the briefing, advocates will spend the day visiting the offices of Congressional representatives in the House and Senate to share their stories about the problem gambling related issues going on in their community, as well as nationally.
Why should I attend Advocacy Day?
- Engagement: Every voice makes a difference at Advocacy Day; and it’s your chance to let your lawmakers know that you care about developing strong public policies relating to problem gambling and appropriating the necessary funding for education, research, treatment and prevention. Experienced advocates coordinate each lawmaker meeting, but it’s the faces and stories from their district that lawmakers remember.
- Networking: Connect with your fellow problem gambling advocates from across the country and go on congressional visits together; share tips and tricks as well as success stories.
- Education: During Advocacy Day you will have the opportunity to educate your legislators about the effectiveness of problem gambling prevention, education and treatment. Don’t miss this exceptional opportunity to tell members of your congressional delegation and/or their key staffers about your organization, and what you’re accomplishing in the community.
How do I Prepare for Problem Gambling Advocacy Day?
- Register with NCPG by Monday, April 2, 2018.
- Attend the ‘Effective Advocacy in Action’ Webinar on Tuesday, March 27, 2018. Learn more & register for this webinar HERE.
- Read the Preventing and Treating Gambling Disorder in the Military Act.
- Prepare your stories about the problem gambling related issues going on in your community.