October 30, 2018
The National Council on Problem Gambling, a nonprofit organization based in Washington, DC requests proposals to provide a literature review of sports betting and gambling addiction. Our goal is to better understand the current and future impacts of sports betting on prevalence and severity of gambling problems. The specific objectives for the bidder are to:
1) Assemble a bibliography of research on sports betting and gambling addiction. The review will not be limited to academic journals but should include resources like state health agency treatment evaluations, league and union reports, etc…
2) Compile an executive summary reviewing major findings and themes and providing information on the four key questions below.
The four key questions we hope the review will provide information on are:
1. What are demographic characteristics of sports bettors? What are the similarities and differences with other gamblers?
2. What are the clinical characteristics of sports bettors who are at-risk or who meet criteria for gambling problems? What are the similarities and differences with at-risk/problem gamblers?
3. What information is available on gambling in general and gambling on sports among athletes, including student/youth amateur players as well as professionals?
4. What information is available on gambling problems among athletes, including student/youth amateur players as well as professionals?
Proposals: Please describe your approach to compiling the literature review, including inclusion/exclusion criteria for studies.
Please provide a brief summary of the lead investigator/team relevant education and experience, particularly in gambling research.
Please provide your proposed budget that includes any and all costs for this project. Do not include any formatting or publication expenses as NCPG will handle production and distribution of the final product.
Deliverables: Literature review, including citations for the included studies, not to exceed 30 pages. Findings summary, not to exceed 5 pages. NCPG will own the content of the report. The review and summary are due on Friday, December 21, 2018.
Deadline for proposals is Friday, November 9, 2018. All bidders will be notified of NCPG’s decision by
Friday, November 16. NCPG reserves the absolute right to select proposals based on its own subjective
evaluation, including but not limited to cost and other factors.
Contact NCPG Executive Director Keith Whyte (KeithW@ncpgambling.org) with questions and to submit a proposal.
Keith Whyte, Executive Director
National Council on Problem Gambling
730 11th Street, NW, Suite 601
Washington, DC 20001
202.547.9204 or firstname.lastname@example.org